Effective April 24, 2019
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider (free of charge) at https://feedback-form.truste.com/watchdog/request.
What Information Do We Collect and How Do We Get It?
Metromile collects a variety of information that will aid us in quoting and servicing your insurance policy and providing the Service to you. This information includes “nonpublic personal information”, which is all information that identifies you and is not available to the public.
We collect this information through your application information, your communications with us, your transactions, your consumer report, and use of the Service. We also collect certain information that is linked with your account through a wireless enabled telematics device installed in your covered vehicle (the “Pulse”).
Here are some examples of the information we get:
- Application and Communications: Through the App and the Service we gather information such as your name, address, residential information, phone number, driver’s license number, social security number, gender, date of birth, educational background, occupational information, former insurance information, vehicle information, marital status and driving history, as well as other information that you may provide through other communication features of the Service.
- Consumer Report: Through consumer reporting agencies we gather information such as your driving record, claims history with other insurers, credit report and insurance score. These agencies keep your information and only disclose it to us as permitted by law. By submitting an application for coverage, you authorize Metromile to request your credit report.
- Transactions: Through your transactions with us, we gather information such as insurance coverage, payments and claims history, and payment instrument information, such as credit card information.
- Website Usage: Like most online services, when you use the Service, we may automatically collect certain information about your visit and store it in log files, such as the website and/or search criteria that led you to our Service, your Internet Protocol address (“IP Address”), UDID, or other device address or ID, device type, operating system, browser info, and what pages you visit on the Service, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after the Service.
- Tracking Technologies: Metromile and our partners (such as our marketing partners), affiliates, or analytics or service providers, use technologies such as cookies, beacons, tags, and scripts, to analyze trends, administer the website, track users’ movements around the website, and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We may receive reports based on the use of these technologies by these companies on an individual and aggregated basis.
- We and third parties with whom we partner to provide certain features on our site or to display advertising based upon your web browsing activity use LSOs such as HTML 5 to collect and store information. Various browsers may offer their own management tools for removing HTML5 LSOs.
- If you choose to use our referral service to tell a friend about our site, we will ask you for your friend’s name and email address. We will automatically send your friend a one-time invitation email to visit the site, and a one-time reminder. Metromile stores this information for the sole purpose of sending the invitation and reminder emails, and for tracking the success of our referral program. Your friend may contact us using this online form to request that we remove this information from our database.to request that we remove this information from our database.
Metromile keeps a record of the source of the information that we gather about our users. You can obtain these records by contacting us with this online form. You may be charged a fee for the cost of creating copies of this information.
You may also request access to records of your information retained by Metromile by submitting a written request. You will be given access to the information and the ability to make copies within thirty business days. You may choose to access this information in person or via mail. You may correct, amend, or delete this information (after providing proper verification) by submitting a written request to this online form. If Metromile does not agree with the requested changes, you may submit a concise statement of the changes you requested and your reasons why you believe the information should be changed, and this statement will be stored with your information and will be provided with your information if it is shared as permitted below.
The Ways Metromile Uses Information
Metromile uses the information you provide or that we collect to develop, operate, maintain, enhance, and provide all of the features and services found on the Service now and in the future, and to service your account with us, including the following:
- We will use your email address to contact you for administrative purposes, for customer service purposes, or regarding your use of the Service.
- We use the information that you provide or that we collect to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our users, to improve the way the Service works and looks, and to create new features and functionality.
- We may use “automatically collected” information and “cookies” information to: (a) personalize our services, such as remembering your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you use the Service; (b) provide customized third party advertisements, content, and information; (c) monitor and analyze the effectiveness of the Service and third party marketing activities; (d) monitor aggregate site usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed.
The Ways Metromile Discloses Information
- We may disclose your information to claims representatives, consumer reporting agencies, insurance agents, law enforcement agencies, courts and government agencies. These parties may disclose information to other parties as permitted by law, rule, or regulation. For example:
- We disclose personal information to claims representatives in order to initiate the claim process and so that the claims representative may contact you with additional questions.
- A consumer reporting agency may disclose transaction information received from us to other insurance companies with which you do business.
- We disclose information to appropriate entities that make necessary repairs to your vehicle when you are involved in an incident.
- Metromile works with third party service providers in the U.S. and other jurisdictions to provide website development, hosting, maintenance, transcription, marketing and support as well as other business services for us. To the extent it is necessary for these service providers to complete their work, these third parties may have access to or process your personal information. These disclosures are generally made under terms comparable to this policy, and the recipients are limited to using the information for the purpose for which it was provided.
- Metromile may disclose automatically collected and other aggregate non-personal information with interested third parties, to assist such parties in understanding the usage, viewing, and demographic patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality on the Service.
- Metromile may also disclose your personal information as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena, bankruptcy proceedings, or similar legal process when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request. In certain situations, Metromile may also be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities.
- Metromile works to promote a safe and reliable Service for all users. We reserve the right to disclose your information that we believe is reasonable, appropriate, or necessary to take precautions against liability; to protect Metromile and others from fraudulent, abusive, predatory, or unlawful uses or activity; to investigate and defend ourselves against any third party claims or allegations; to prevent fraud and criminal activity; to assist government enforcement agencies; to protect the security or integrity of the Service; or to protect or vindicate the rights, property, or personal safety of Metromile, our users, or others.
- Metromile may disclose your information to medical care institutions or medical professionals to verify insurance coverage or benefits, to provide notice of a medical problem, or as part of an operations or service audit. The information will only be disclosed as reasonably necessary to achieve these goals.
- Metromile may disclose your information to an affiliate in connection with an audit of Metromile or another insurance-related entity, such as an insurance producer or marketing company. The affiliate will be required not to disclose your information for any other purpose or to any unaffiliated person. Medical information will not be disclosed without your written consent.
- Metromile may disclose your information to third parties for non-insurance purposes as outlined above; however, we will not share nonpublic personal information with third party companies for marketing purposes without your consent.
In the Event of Merger or Sale
In the event that all or a portion of Metromile or its assets are acquired by or merged with a third party entity, we reserve the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information that we have collected from users, including personal information and user data in connection with such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control. You will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our website of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information.
How is Your Information Protected?
Metromile is committed to protecting your information from unauthorized access and disclosure. We have certain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in place that are designed to help protect the security and integrity of your information both during transmission and once it is received. To reduce the risk that your account may be compromised, we recommend the use of passwords greater than eight characters, and that include letters, numbers, and special characters, and that you regularly change your password to one that you have not used within the last year. If you have any questions about security on our website, you can contact us using this online form.
Communications with Metromile
As a policyholder, we will contact you regarding your policy, such as billing notices and confirmations of changes, through email. We will also use your email to provide you with updates about our products and services. We may also contact you by phone regarding timely matters such as late payment or other factors that might affect your policy.
When you register for an account, we will use your name and email address to send periodic emails to you of both promotional and transactional nature. Out of respect for your privacy, you may choose to stop receiving promotional emails by following the unsubscribe instructions included in these emails or you can contact us using this online form.
Reviewing/Correcting Your Information
Upon written request, Metromile will provide you with information about whether we hold any of your personal information. As a consumer, you have the right to review the information we have about you and update, change or delete your information if needed. Support is provided for consumers to request any needed updates to their data either via this online form or
by sending us postal mail at the address given below. We will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
We can provide consumers with the names of all entities that Metromile has disclosed certain of your personal information to within two years, in accordance with applicable law. We also provide you with information on how to obtain a copy of your credit report (see prior section What Information Do We Collect and How Do We Get It?).
In addition, every policyholder has an account secured by a username and password on our website that contains a summary of the information we have about you. Any needed updates can be emailed to this online form.
Links to Third Parties
You can import contacts from your Gmail or other email account address book to invite them to become members of our website. We collect the username and password for the email account from which you wish to import your contacts, and will only use your personal information for that purpose.
Blog / Forum
Our website offers publicly accessible blogs. You should be aware that any information you provide in these areas may be read, collected, and used by others who access them. To request removal of your personal information from our blog contact us using the Help Center. In some cases, we may not be able to remove your personal information, in which case we will let you know if we are unable to do so and why.
We display personal testimonials of satisfied customers on our website in addition to other endorsements. We may post your testimonial along with your name. If you wish to update or delete your testimonial, you can contact us at this online form
Call Customer Service at 888-244-1702 or send mail to: