Effective November 7, 2014
What Information Do We Collect and How Do We Get It?
Metromile collects a variety of information that will aid us in quoting and servicing your insurance policy and providing the Service to you. This information includes “nonpublic personal information”, which is all information that identifies you and is not available to the public.
We collect this information through your application information, your communications with us, your transactions, your consumer report and use of the Service. We also collect certain information that is linked with your account through a wireless enabled telematics device installed in your covered vehicle (the “Metronome”).
- Application and Communications: Through the App and the Service we gather information such as your name, address, residential information, phone number, drivers license number, social security number, gender, date of birth, educational background, former insurance information, vehicle information, marital status and driving history, as well as other information that you may provide through other communication features of the Service.
- Consumer Report: Through consumer reporting agencies we gather information such as your driving record, claims history with other insurers, credit report and insurance score. These agencies keep your information and only disclose it to us as permitted by law. By submitting an application for coverage, you authorize Metromile to request your credit report. You are entitled to receive a free copy of your credit report directly from the consumer reporting agency we utilize.
P.O. Box 1000
Chester, PA 19022
P.O. Box 2000
Chester, PA 19022
- Transactions: Through your transactions with us we gather information such as insurance coverage, payments and claims history, and payment instrument information.
- We may have access to and gather your mileage, speed, and similar location data from the Metronome you plug in your vehicle (provided to you when you begin service with us). You can use the Service to elect to turn on or off the storage of location-based data transmitted by the Metronome device from your vehicle. If you choose to turn location based data off, the Company will stop storing location-based data on our servers within a reasonable time following your selection, and you will not be able to use features of the Service that require your location-based data for any period during which you had location-based data storage disabled.
- Website Usage: Like most online services, when you use the Service, we may automatically collect certain information about your visit such as the website and/or search criteria that led you to our Service, your Internet Protocol address (“IP Address”), UDID, or other device address or ID, device type, operating system, browser info, and what pages you visit on the Service, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after the Service. We do not link this automatically-collected data to personal information.
- “Cookies:” When you use the Service, we may send one or more cookies– small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters– to your computer. Metromile may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the Service. Persistent cookies can be removed. Please review your web browser “Help” file to learn the proper way to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete, or choose not to accept, cookies from the Service, you may not be able to utilize the features of the Service to their fullest potential.
- Web Beacons/Gifs: Our third party advertising partner employs a software technology called clear gifs (a.k.a. Web Beacons/Web Bugs), that help us better manage content on our site by informing us what content is effective. Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies, and are used to track the online movements of Web users. In contrast to cookies, which are stored on a user’s computer hard drive, clear gifs are embedded invisibly on Web pages and are about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. We do not tie the information gathered by clear gifs to our customers’ personal information. To learn more about our advertising company’s use of clear gifs, please go to Google Remarketing. We use clear gifs in our HTML-based emails to let us know which emails have been opened by recipients. This allows us to gauge the effectiveness of certain communications and the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns. If you would like to opt-out of these emails, please see “Choice and Opt-out.”
- If you choose to use our referral service to tell a friend about our site, we will ask you for your friend’s name and email address. We will automatically send your friend a one-time invitation email to visit the site, and a one-time reminder. Metromile stores this information for the sole purpose of sending the invitation and reminder emails, and for tracking the success of our referral program. Your friend may contact us at email@example.com to request that we remove this information from our database.
The Ways Metromile Uses Information
Metromile uses the information you provide or that we collect to develop, operate, maintain, enhance, and provide all of the features and services found on the Service now and in the future, and to service your account with us, including the following:
- We will use your email address to contact you for administrative purposes, for customer service purposes, or regarding your use of the Service.
- We use the information that you provide or that we collect to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our users, to improve the way the Service works and looks, and to create new features and functionality.
- We may use “automatically collected” information and “cookies” information to: (a) personalize our services, such as remembering your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you use the Service; (b) provide customized third party advertisements, content, and information; (c) monitor and analyze the effectiveness of the Service and third party marketing activities; (d) monitor aggregate site usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed.
The Ways Metromile Discloses Information
Metromile is not in the business of selling or commercializing your information with third party companies for marketing purposes. There are however some circumstances in which we disclose your information in connection with developing, providing, and maintaining the Service and operating our business, but only as permitted by law. Such disclosures include:
- We may disclose your information to claims representatives, consumer reporting agencies, insurance agents, law enforcement agencies, courts and government agencies. These parties may disclose information to other parties as permitted by law. For example:
- A consumer reporting agency may disclose transaction information received from us to other insurance companies with which you do business.
- We disclose information to appropriate entities that make necessary repairs to your vehicle when you are involved in an incident.
- Metromile works with third party service providers in the U.S. and other jurisdictions to provide website development, hosting, maintenance, transcription, marketing and support as well as other business services for us. To the extent it is necessary for these service providers to complete their work, these third parties may have access to or process your personal information. These disclosures are generally made under terms comparable to this policy, and the recipients are limited to using the information for the purpose for which it was provided.
- Metromile may disclose automatically collected and other aggregate non-personal information with interested third parties, to assist such parties in understanding the usage, viewing, and demographic patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality on the Service
- Metromile may also disclose your information if required to do so by law or where Metromile determines that such action is necessary or useful to comply with applicable laws, to respond to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant, or to otherwise support or cooperate with judicial or law enforcement activity
- Metromile works to promote a safe and reliable service for all users. We reserve the right to disclose your information that we believe is reasonable, appropriate, or necessary to take precautions against liability; to protect Metromile and others from fraudulent, abusive, predatory, or unlawful uses or activity; to investigate and defend ourselves against any third party claims or allegations; to assist government enforcement agencies; to protect the security or integrity of the Service; or to protect or vindicate the rights, property, or personal safety of Metromile, our users, or others.
- Metromile will not otherwise share nonpublic personal information with third party companies for marketing purposes without your consent.
In the Event of Merger or Sale
In the event that all or a portion of Metromile or its assets are acquired by or merged with a third party entity, we reserve the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information that we have collected from users, including personal information and User Data in connection with such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control. You will be notified via email and/or a prominent notice on our Web site of any change in ownership or uses of your personal information, as well as any choices you may have regarding your personal information.
How is Your Information Protected?
Metromile is committed to protecting your information from unauthorized access and disclosure. We have certain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in place that are designed to help protect the security and integrity of your information. When you enter sensitive information (such as your Social Security Number) on our online forms, we encrypt the transmission of that information using secure socket layer technology (SSL). Nevertheless, no physical, procedural, or technical system is 100% secure or immune from design flaws, outages, losses, attacks, or from human error. Therefore, we cannot ensure or warrant that information you transmit to Metromile will not be lost or compromised. To reduce the risk that your account may be compromised, we recommend the use of passwords greater than eight characters, and that include letters, numbers, and special characters, and that you regularly change your password to one that you have not used within the last year.If you have any questions about security on our Web site, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Communications with Metromile
As a Metromile policyholder, we will contact you regarding your policy, such as billing notices and confirmations of changes, through email. We will also use your email to provide you with updates about our products and services. We may also contact you by phone regarding timely matters such as late payment or other factors that might affect your policy.
When you register for an account, we will use your name and email address to send periodic emails to you of both promotional and transactional nature. Out of respect for your privacy, you may choose to stop receiving promotional emails by following the unsubscribe instructions included in these emails or you can contact us at email@example.com.
Reviewing/Correcting Your Information
As a consumer, you have the right to review the information we have about you and update or change your information if needed. Support is provided for consumers to request any needed updates to their data either via email
firstname.lastname@example.org or by sending us postal mail at the address given below.
We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services. We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements.
We can provide consumers with the names of all entities that Metromile has disclosed certain of your personal information to within two years, in accordance with applicable law. We also provide you with information on how to obtain a copy of your credit report (see prior section What Information Do We Collect and How Do We Get It?)
In addition, every policyholder has an account secured by a username and password on our website that contains a summary of the information we have about you. Any needed updates can be emailed to email@example.com or policyholders may call the customer service phone number listed in their online account.
If you’d like to opt out of Google Analytics for Display Advertising (e.g., Remarketing, Google Display Network Impression Reporting, the DoubleClick Campaign Manager integration, or Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting) or customize Google Display Network ads you may do so by configuring your Ads Settings.
Links to 3rd Parties
Blog / Forum
Call Customer Service at 888-244-1702
Or send mail to:
690 Folsom Street, Suite 200
San Francisco, CA 94107