No matter how much you love your car, chances are you hate filling up the gas tank. But we get it — sometimes it’s hard to break the driving habit. That’s why at Metromile, we love the idea of Dump the Pump Day, a national holiday sponsored by American Public Transportation Association (APTA) and public transportation systems across the country that encourages people to ride public transportation instead of driving.
While June 20 is the official day to celebrate Dump the Pump by riding the bus, taking the train, and finding other ways to step outside your vehicle, we think reducing the number of miles you drive is always a good idea (that’s why we specializing in offering low-cost coverage to people who keep their mileage low). In case you needed some extra motivation to leave the car in the garage and find other ways to get around, here are some stats that might inspire you this Dump the Pump Day and beyond:
- According to the latest APTA Transit Savings Report, a two person household living with one less car can save more than $9,700 a year on average.
- Taking public transportation, walking, or biking, can go a long way in reducing your carbon footprint.
- When you’re not focused behind the wheel, you can kick back, relax, read, or spend some extra time on work during your commute.
- Spending your dollars on public transportation versus car insurance is a great way to support the community and help boost the local economy.
- If you’re looking for a simple, free way to get fit, start walking! Research shows walking improves cardiac risk factors and decreases mental stress.
- And of course: you’ll save a ton of cash. It’s no secret that gas prices are sky-high. According to reports, the cost of gasoline for 1,000 miles of driving is about $150.53 for a large SUV and $79.44 for a small car. Skip all those fill-ups and you could save a significant chunk of change by the end of the year.
If you’re ready to find an insurance plan that fits your low-mileage lifestyle, visit www.metromile.com today for a free quote.