Note: We recently upgraded the Pulse device for some Metromile customers. This article is for customers who received this specific notification. Learn how to install your Pulse device for the first time or resolve an error on our blog or Help Center.
Welcome to your upgraded Pulse device! Here’s how you can replace your old device and get started with your new device.
How to plug in your new Pulse device
1. Unplug your old Pulse device
Locate your onboard diagnostic (OBD-II) port near your dashboard, pedals, or center console. Next, dispose or recycle your old Pulse device.
2. Plug in your new Pulse device
Connect your device, and give it a wiggle to make sure it’s plugged all the way in. A flashing light will confirm your device is connected successfully.
3. You’ll hear from us
We’ll email and text you when we get a signal from your device. This can take up to 1 day.
Didn’t hear from us?
Drive around for about 5 minutes. Then, look for a flashing light to confirm your device is connected successfully.
Why do I need to replace my Pulse device? How does this upgrade help me?
As is the case with most technology, sometimes the hardware can use an upgrade.
While your current device might work fine now, we want to reduce the likelihood of any connectivity issues down the road. For example, your current device may no longer be able to connect to our network soon.
What if I’m away from my vehicle and need more time to replace my old device?
If you are away from your car and unable to install your Pulse in the time given, you may set a grace period. A grace period will give you some extra time to install your new device. If you need to set a grace period, contact us through the Help Center.
What if I didn’t get my upgraded device?
You should receive your new device in a week. We will send you an email to let you know when it should arrive. If it’s been several days since you received the email, we may need to send you another device. Contact us through the Help Center, and we can look into the status of your delivery.
What if I received multiple devices?
If you only have one vehicle insured with Metromile and received multiple devices, please hold onto them and contact us through the Help Center.
If you have multiple vehicles insured with Metromile, you might receive multiple devices:
- Each new device includes a sticker with the year, make, model, and the last 4 digits of the VIN number to indicate which vehicle they should be connected to.
- Don’t worry if you have multiple vehicles insured but only received one device. You may only need to replace one device. Remember to replace the right one by checking your emails.
Where can I find the OBD-II port?
The location of your car’s onboard diagnostic (OBD-II) port depends on which car your have. Generally, it could be in one of several locations:
I’m having trouble installing my new Pulse
We’ll walk you through the process. First, you should know that a properly installed Pulse has a red light on it, and your driving data will be reflected in your app or dashboard. If that’s not happening, please follow these steps:
- Make sure you’re in an area with cell service.
- Check to see that your Pulse is completely plugged into your vehicle. Try taking the Pulse out completely for a few minutes and reinserting it back into the port by gently pushing the Pulse in further or wiggling it into place.
- If you still can’t see a light or the light doesn’t appear red, have a mechanic look at your OBD-II port to see if it’s working properly.
- Once the red light appears on your Pulse, go for a drive (for longer than 5 minutes). After your trip, make sure you’re in an area that has cell service and check your app or dashboard to see if the trip details show up. (Note that this may take up to 48 hours to display.)
- At this point, you should get an email from us confirming that we got a signal from your new device. If you’re still experiencing issues, please reach out to our Customer Service team at 1.888.244.1702 8am-5pm PT Monday – Friday and request a new device.
I’m about to be charged penalty miles, but I need more time.
If you know you won’t be able to install your new device in time, give us a call and we’ll help you set a grace period. Call 1.888.244.1702 8am-5pm PT Monday – Friday and speak to a Customer Service representative.
Why am I getting penalty miles?
- As part of your contract with Metromile, your Pulse needs to be plugged into your car at all times in order for us to bill your actual miles driven. When we haven’t received a signal from your new device and your old device has been deactivated, we apply penalty miles to your account.
- Please note that if penalty miles are applied to your account during this process, those are the only miles that will be added to your account from this vehicle.
Where do I recycle my Pulse? How do I find a recycling center?
Unlike other types of recycling you may be used to seeing (think: big blue bins) that hold your standard paper, aluminum, or glass, electronic devices have complicated parts and need to be recycled in separate facilities. Fortunately, they’re pretty easy to find. Just type in “recycling centers near me” in your search bar and find a place near you. You could even recycle your device at stores you’re more familiar with, like Best Buy or Staples.