It’s hard to believe that 2019 is right around the corner. If you’re anything like us, you’ve still got a to-do list longer than your arm before you can slap up the ol’ OOO reply on your email. All to-dos aside, however, 2018 was a big year for us here at Metromile! With the introduction of our AI crash-testing system, and the announcement of our latest round of funding, we’re proud of all our accomplishments this year. None of them would’ve been possible without the support of our Metromile fam, and for you, we are eternally grateful.
Metromile’s 2018 By the Numbers
Let’s take a look at 2018 by the numbers, shall we? According to the U.S. Department of Transportation Federal Highway Administration, the average American drives 13,476 miles each year. Metromile customers in major cities drive an average of 6,000 miles each year, less than half of the national average!
In 2018, Metromilers in big cities across the country averaged 5,599 miles. Which city drove the least? Check out our ranking below!
The per-city average miles driven in 2018
- Portland, OR – 4,315 miles: Topping our list for the second year in a row, our Portland Metromilers are making us proud. In 2018, they drove 204 fewer miles than in 2017, and 1,405 fewer than in 2016. Keep outdoing yourselves, Portlandians! We’ll be here cheering you on.
- Chicago – 4,702 miles: Sliding into second place, Chicago Metromilers drove 1,234 fewer miles in 2018 than in 2017. Well done, Chicagoans!
- Seattle/Tacoma – 4,879 miles: Coming in for the bronze medal, Seattle-ites drove 248 fewer miles in 2018 than in 2017 – and almost 2k fewer miles than our LA Metromilers!
- Sacramento/Stockton/Modesto – 5,234 miles: The Sacramento metropolitan area is new to the list this year, with a modest(o) 5k miles driven. Nice work!
- Philadelphia – 5,789 miles: Philly moves up the list this year, with 540 fewer miles driven in 2018. Woo-hoo!
- San Diego – 6,612 miles: San Diego took the last spot in 2017, so we’re excited to see that they are moving up our list and drove over 1k fewer miles in 2018!
- Los Angeles – 6,869 miles: With a city as large as Los Angeles, it’s no surprise to see it taking the last spot on our list, with the most miles driven in 2018.
The most popular day of the week for Metromilers to drive
Through and through, Metromilers prove that cars are best for weekend use. The most popular day of the week to drive for Metromilers is Friday.
Our low-mileage drivers like to get out and do stuff on the weekends and we love seeing their travels on Instagram. Going somewhere cool soon? Don’t forget to tag us (@metromile) and/or #Metromile.
The most common vehicles that our Metromile fam drives
Raise your hand if you drive a Honda or Toyota. We knew it wasn’t just us.
- Honda Civic
- Honda Accord
- Toyota Corolla
- Toyota Camry
- Toyota Prius
Interestingly, this is the exact same list as 2017! Metromilers are very consistent. Additionally, the most popular car in 2018 for the top 10 Metromile accounts is the Honda Civic.
Most popular day of the year to drive
The most popular day to drive was November 30th, 2018. However, with every passing Friday, we get closer to surpassing that all-time high!
Metromile Claims, By the Numbers
Some other interesting stats to note. Because who doesn’t love some fun stats? Here at Metromile, we handle thousands of claims every year. Curious what the percentage breakdown is for the different kinds of claims filed in 2018? Don’t worry, we did the math for you.
Percent breakdown of claims handled in 2018
- Glass Repair: 8.3%
- Roadside Assistance: 52.4%
- Stolen Vehicle: 0.7%
- Traditional Claim: 39.3%
The most common type of claim
If we take roadside/glass repair claims out of the equation, rear-end collisions were the most common type of claim processed by Metromile claims specialists in 2018.
2018 has been an amazing year for us here at Metromile, and we are looking forward to offering our customers even more awesome perks in 2019. If you aren’t already part of the Metromile fam, get a quick quote to see how much you could save with pay-per-mile insurance in 2019.
From all of us here at Metromile: happy holidays and see you in the New Year!